OREM RECREATION DEPARTMENT
The Recreation Department promotes healthy, active lifestyles by providing recreational opportunities.
Over the next several years, the Recreation Department anticipates growth leading to challenges in the following areas:
The Recration Department will face these challenges through:
Staffing and training
We believe in:
Serving our patrons and our community
Enhancing personal growth, change and improvement
Exemplifying friendliness, honesty, integrity, credibility and trust
Being committed to the benefits of recreation
Making a difference in peoples lives
The Orem Recreation Department is turning 30!
December 8, 2009, marks the 30th birthday of the Orem Recreation Department and Orem Fitness Center. We would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have played a role in getting the Orem Recreation Department to where it is today. We thank our original Director, Jerry Ortiz, who worked 27 years in the Department seeing it through numerous changes and improvements. He worked closely with the original Citizen's Advisory Committee to get the Recreation Center (now Orem Fitness Center) built. That committee consisted of Glen Zimmerman, Cyntha Hirst, Phyllis Bestor, William Delaney, and Keith Hunt. Their tireless efforts are appreciated and the fruits of their labors are enjoyed on a daily basis by the Orem community. We are also grateful for the generous donation of the Noorda family that allowed a major addition to be added to the facility in 2006. The Recreation Department has seen many improvements and additions throughout its first 30 years. Some include:
• Orem Fitness Center upgrades throughout the years that include: locker room changes, fire alarm upgrades, parking lot remodels, an HVAC retrofit, roof resealing, office and admission desk remodels, pool enclosure upgrades, pool replastering
• 2002 Fitness Center remodel that included hardwood floor gym, new weight room, new aerobics/dance studio, Firing range retrofit, expanded childcare facility, family change room
• Newly built outdoor pool complex at the Scera Park including 3 pools, 2 waterslides and a splashpad
• Newly built Lakeside Sports Complex with 5 softball fields, 8 soccer fields, snack bar facilities, pavilion and playground
• 2006 addition that included additional office space, a 2 level cardio area, a co-ed steamroom
For our 30th Birthday, we've decided to reward ourselves with a "face-lift". This will include a new image for the Recreation Department. Here are some of the changes to look for in the months to come:
• We will GO GREEN! This will be our last regular mailing of the Recreation Guide Brochure. Our semi-annual brochure will not be printed and mailed to every home, but will be available for easy access through our upgraded website or at the Orem Fitness Center.
• We will create an online community...We will incorporate social networking sites, voluntary text sign ups, email clubs, and other technologies to enhance our quality of service and communication.
• We will introduce a new slogan and commitment to excellence in customer satisfaction.
Thank you to all of those who have brought us this far. We are excited about where we've come and where we're going. Please come experience the excitement in our department and in the community as we embark on this next era in Orem Recreation!